Mr. Josh O. Ungerman
Partner, Meadows Collier
Income Tax Litigation
Estate and Gift Tax Litigation
White Collar and Government Regulatory Litigation
State Tax Planning and Litigation
Estate Planning and Probate
Mr. Ungerman's experience as a former IRS Senior Trial Attorney and Department of Justice (DOJ) Special Assistant U.S. Attorney are invaluable in helping clients with IRS civil tax and criminal tax controversy matters at all levels along with tax and estate planning. The tax and estate matters in which Josh is involved are typically very complex from both a factual and legal perspective. These matters often require legal and accounting skills. Josh is also a Certified Public Accountant.
Mr. Ungerman is involved in defending Taxpayers & issues against IRS inquiries and actions. The IRS defense practice covers Civil and Criminal Exams, Investigations and Trials. Many of Josh's Tax Controversy matters include an offshore component.
Mr. Ungerman is often called upon to remediate non-compliant offshore structures and advise on offshore compliance requirements.
Mr. Ungerman is selected to many "Best of" attorney lists by his peers including: Best Lawyers, D Magazine and Texas Monthly. He was selected to the Texas Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers in Texas list.
Prior to joining the firm in 1994, he was a civil prosecutor for the Internal Revenue Service, Dallas District Counsel office. He was also a Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Department of Justice in Dallas during his time as a civil prosecutor. Prior to becoming an IRS attorney of a special assistant U.S. attorney, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Carolyn M. Parr at the United States Tax Court in Washington, D.C.
Josh is a frequent speaker on tax topics including domestic and offshore IRS exams, IRS estate tax strategies, tax shelter defense, recent tax legislation, IRS criminal tax investigation techniques, state tAx controversy issues and IRS offshore compliance issues.
Mr. Ungerman was admitted to practice in Texas in 1990.
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, J.D., 1990 Board of Editors, Southwestern Law Journal
- University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1987
- Dallas Bar Association
- Past Chair, Tax Section
- State Bar of Texas
- Past Chair, Tax Controversy Committee
- American College of Tax Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Member, Appointments to the Tax Court Committee, Tax Section, 2015-2017
- Past Chair, Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties Committee, Tax Section
- Past Chair, IRS Investigations and Practices Subcommittee, Tax Section on Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Dallas CPA Society
- Tax Committee
- New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies
- Planning Committee Member, 2nd Annual Tax Controversy Forum
- UCLA Extension, Business, Management, and Legal Programs
- Planning Committee Member, 25th Annual Tax Controversy Institute